Ways to Prevent Clogged Drains
Prevention is the best remedy, which also holds true for your drains. Why spend time, effort, and money hiring professionals to perform drain cleaning in your home in Corona, when you can do your part and prevent the problems from arising in the first place. What’s more, acting proactively rather than reactively will also save you from the stress and hassle of having to deal with slow or completely clogged drains. Here’s how you can prevent clogs from appearing.
How can I prevent my drains from clogging?
Over time, if you don’t pay attention to them, various food leftovers and other debris will slowly accumulate in your drains, causing a serious clog that will require professional cleaning to remove. That’s why you should be familiar with the best preventive practices designed for keeping your drains clean:
Sinks without garbage disposal units
If your kitchen sink doesn’t have a garbage disposal unit, make sure you adopt the following habits:
- The most important thing is to avoid allowing any food scraps to enter your drain. Also, invest in a simple drain strainer to help you collect all leftovers.
- Avoid pouring oil or grease down your drain at all costs. As grease cools down, it settles and builds until it causes a severe clog. Instead, take a separate container and pour grease and oil there before sealing it and properly disposing of it in the trash.
- At the end of each week, or more frequently, take a kettle of hot water and pour it down your kitchen sink drain. This will help loosen any clogs that may be starting to form and keep your drain clean for longer periods of time.
Sinks with garbage disposal units
For all homeowners who have a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal, make sure to implement these practices:
- Your garbage disposal cannot handle all types of food scraps you have for it, so you have to avoid placing certain food items in it. For example, don’t pour potato skins, eggshells, coffee grounds, and banana peels.
- Remember to run cold water in a steady stream every time you’re using your garbage disposal unit. This way, you’re helping your garbage disposal deal with the waste material further down your drain system.
It can be particularly tricky to keep bathroom drains in good condition, but you can succeed with these methods:
- Don’t forget to regularly clean the drain stoppers in your bathroom tub and sink to remove all soap scum, hair, and other gunk that will otherwise slow or completely prevent proper drainage.
- Refrain from flushing any paper products other apart from toilet paper down your toilet. Otherwise, you risk serious clogs.
Finally, here are some general tips you can apply to all the drains around your home:
- To avoid damaging your pipes and making fertile ground for more serious problems, refrain from using any chemical drain cleaning compounds.
- Invest in drain screens for all the drains around your home. This is the first line of defense and really helps in preventing clogs.
- Avoid pouring any paint thinner or paint in your drains.
Which plumbers perform the most comprehensive drain cleaning in Corona & the area?
Keeping your drains in top condition is a never ending battle that starts with doing all in your power to prevent clogs from developing and it continues with you paying attention to all the common signs that you need to clean your drains. This way, you’re not only stopping clogs but also ensuring you receive all the benefits of clean drains. Just make sure to avoid some of the frequent DIY drain-cleaning mistakes.
Or if you want to know your drains are in the best possible condition all the time, simply hire OneStop Plumbers, your experts in drain cleaning. Our plumbers use advanced hydrojet and drain rooter cleansing methods to ensure there are no clogs in your drains. This way, you get rid of all the clogs and enhance the longevity of your drains. Besides Corona, we serve the areas of Anaheim Hills, Chino, Chino Hills, Norco, Yorba Linda, Mira Loma, and others. Call us today!