Sink Blockages: What Causes Them & How to Fix Them
There are several most common causes of sink blockages, and they can occur either because the sink has been improperly or infrequently maintained, or because of disposing of unsuitable items in your sink.
Depending on the reason behind a sink blockage, you would have to be familiar with the different parts of the kitchen sink and potentially know how to replace kitchen sink pipes in order to get rid of the problem. That is why, sometimes, it’s best to resort to hiring professional plumbing services in Chino to ensure the problem gets resolved. But, you should still be aware of the potential causes and fixes for a blocked sink.
What are the most common causes of sink blockages?
When it comes to the most common causes of sink problems, there are more of them than you might think. First, let’s take a look at what will most likely cause your sink to get clogged, so we could later take a look at how to fix and prevent these issues from occurring:
- Hair: Human hair and animal fur are probably the most common reason behind a blocked sink. Hair can also knot up, which will make it combine with other substances more easily, causing a very stubborn blockage.
- Soap: Soap scum, or soap residue, accumulates over time, especially in bathroom sinks. Soap residue reduces the diameter of your pipes, which either causes a complete blockage or slow drainage.
- Dirt: It is a frequent misconception that you can wash away dirt down your drain as much as you like. Dirt can also build up and produce blockages in the piping of your sink, especially when combined with grease, soap, or hair.
- Fat, grease, and oil: Speaking of grease, these three substances can cause very serious problems for your sinks. Oil and grease solidify in your pipes, which leads to hard blockages that can be difficult to deal with.
- Food waste: Clogs caused by food waste usually affect kitchen sinks. Even if your sink has a garbage disposal, food waste is still able to cause blockages in your pipes. Also, try not to pour tea leaves or coffee grounds down the sink, as they don’t break down.
- Small solid objects: Sometimes, small pieces of children’s toys can go down the sink if there is no sink guard in place, causing blockages you’re probably not expecting.
How do you fix a sink drain problem?
Now that you’re familiar with the most frequent causes behind the blockages in your sink, it’s time to take a closer look at how to prevent them from occurring, as well as what to do if they do happen:
- Blockages caused by hair: This is what to do to prevent or fix those blocks caused by hair:
- Prevention: Use a drain guard or a hair strainer to stop hair from going down the sink drain, and frequently clean the drain.
- Fix: You can try plunging the drain, or using a homemade drain cleaner by mixing vinegar and baking soda. Also, sometimes you will need a plumbing snake to clear the blockage caused by hair.
- Blockages caused by soap: If you think soap is causing the blockage, do the following:
- Prevention: Stop soap scum accumulation by using soap-free washes.
- Fix: The best way to clear a soap blockage is to perform pressure cleaning.
- Blockages caused by dirt: If dirt is behind the blockage, you can try:
- Prevention: Rinse or shake the dirt before using the sink.
- Fix: Using a cleaning auger or a plunger are the most effective approaches for eliminating the blockage caused by dirt.
- Blockages caused by fat, oil, or grease: This is what you can do about these serious blockages:
- Prevention: Use a paper towel to wipe up smaller amounts of grease or oil. Dispose of larger amounts in a jar or a can, and throw them in the trash.
- Fix: If plunging doesn’t work, you can try mixing detergent with hot water and pouring it down the sink drain before plunging again.
- Blockages caused by food waste: If you’re suspecting that food waste is causing the block, do this:
- Prevention: Use a compost bin to dispose of food waste and avoid using your sink for food disposal, even if it has a garbage disposal.
- Fix: If you have a garbage disposal, detach it and clean it. If not, try using a plunger or a plumber’s snake.
- Blockages caused by small solid objects: If you’re thinking the blockage is caused by solid objects, you should:
- Prevention: You can prevent these blockages only by placing sink guards and not throwing small objects into sinks.
- Fix: You can try plunging, but these blockages usually require professional help.
Who offers the most dependable plumbing services in Chino & the area?
If you’re experiencing frequent sink blockages, and you have no idea what might be the underlying cause and how you could fix them, you should always turn to OneStop Plumbers. We offer the best plumbing services in Chino and the surrounding neighborhoods and you can rely on us to resolve your problem.
To us, it doesn’t matter if you’re located near Los Serranos or at another location in Chino. We will dispatch an experienced and qualified plumber who will employ the most modern equipment to detect and fix the problem that’s causing issues with your sink. Contact us today and let us help you out!